Search This Blog

Shipwrecks and Lost Treasures of the Seven Seas : WET & HOT NEWS !

31 October 2010

Swimming With the Fishes

By Stephen Frink

Some of my favorite vacations have been in tropical locations where I can relax on the beach but also enjoy adventures in the water. For my money, the best aquatic activity of all is snorkeling, which combines a front-seat view of wildlife with swimming.

It’s perfect for people like me, who aren’t PADI certified for scuba and who prefer the liberation of swimming near the surface to the claustrophobia of the depths. There’s no better way to explore coral reefs and commune with a variety of fish and other wildlife.

I was a little spoiled by my first snorkeling experience, which happened to be in the sport’s ultimate location: Australia’s Great Barrier Reef. While staying at the Hayman Island Resort ($1,179 a night for a lagoon suite king) in the Whitsunday Islands of Queensland, I took a chartered day trip out to explore the reef.

I was excited to see all the exotic marine life and catch my first glimpse of coral. But I was also nervous; I remember walking cautiously backward into the water, fidgeting with my goggles and breathing apparatus, quite certain I wouldn’t be coordinated enough to work the equipment properly while taking in the incredible underwater scenery.

It turned out to be easier than learning how to ride a bike. After a few minutes of flopping around in the water and adjusting to the apparatus attached to my face, I relaxed, immersed my head underwater, and gasped in disbelief. The colors of some of the fish were far more vibrant and varied than I’d imagined. I glimpsed parrotfish, various mollusks, clams, clown fish, toadfish, and, of course, plenty of green, turquoise-, and beige-colored coral. I loved the solitude of the experience, and after that trip I was hooked. I couldn’t wait to go on another snorkeling adventure.

There are plenty of people like me out there. Typically, snorkelers head to many of the same destinations that scuba divers frequent, since that’s where the best marine life resides. In addition to Australia, prime destinations include Fiji, Hawaii, the Seychelles, and the Maldives.

The Caribbean also has some of the most popular sites in Belize and Utila, Honduras, as well as in the waters off the Cayman Islands. One of the best ways to plan a snorkeling holiday is to pick a resort that offers plenty of half-day and full-day snorkeling trips—complete with high-quality snorkels, masks, and flippers—to various sites rich in coral life and teeming with an abundance of exotic fish, sharks, and even dolphins.

That’s just what I did when I traveled to Ambergris Caye, Belize, three years after my Great Barrier Reef excursion. In addition to being located next to the world’s second-largest coral reef, the Belize Barrier Reef, the island is also famous for inspiring Madonna’s hit ’80s song “La Isla Bonita.” I stayed at Banana Beach Resort ($465 a night for a deluxe oceanfront suite) and immediately signed up for a snorkeling trip at the hotel’s on-site travel store, Monkey Business ($40 for a half day of snorkeling Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley).

Read more... 

Posted via email from

No comments: