Search This Blog

Shipwrecks and Lost Treasures of the Seven Seas : WET & HOT NEWS !

13 November 2010

The life aquatic

Margot Seeto - 

No, this is not a cartoon character about to burst into song with a crab from Trinidad and a pre-pubescent tropical fish. This is Kariel, a blond Oregonian transplant who’s got a Model Mayhem profile and teaches aquarobics classes at the JW Marriott Ihilani Resort and Spa at Ko Olina–all in her mermaid tail.

The Weekly stayed dry and spoke with Kariel on the phone about her life aquatic.

Is the Kariel moniker a spin-off of Ariel from The Little Mermaid ?

Yes, My mom named me Kariel because I have been a mermaid my entire life.

You made your tail two years ago. What is it made out of ?

I have made many tails in my life. I handcraft my tails using recycled/used wet suits, eco-friendly paints and many more things made by my imagination. On every swim there is usually maintenance and upkeep required. Because I handcraft them myself, I am able to repair them as well. I guess you can call me a green mermaid. I have a room in my house dedicated to storing my tails and my equipment. I always wash my tails with fresh water after every use. I finished the pink tail after 350 hours and the blue after 400. I am now working on my third water tail. I hope to finish it by December.

What was the most difficult adjustment from being a human swimmer to a mermaid swimmer ?

Although I have always loved the water, I wasn’t always a good swimmer. Although I might lack in areas where others excel, I have my own unique talents. Everyone has something that makes them special and I want to get that message out to the world. My dream is that self-esteem is lifted in children and they recognize how they can affect others as well. If people can get over the fear of what others think, imagine what our world would create and accomplish.

Read more...

Image: Kurt Chambers

Posted via http://batavia08.posterous.com batavia08's posterous

No comments: